Mt. Gasherbrum I Expedition - 6797 m
Gasherbrum I (also known as Hidden Peak or K5) is the 11th highest peak on Earth, located on the Pakistan-China border in Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan. Gasherbrum I is part of the Gasherbrum massif, located in the Karakoram region of the Himalaya. Gasherbrum is often claimed to mean "Shining Wall", presumably a reference to the highly visible face of the neighboring peak Gasherbrum IV; but in fact it comes from "rgasha" (beautiful) + "brum" (mountain) in Balti, hence it actually means "beautiful mountain."
Gasherbrum I was designated K5 (meaning the 5th peak of the Karakoram) by T.G. Montgomery in 1856 when he first spotted the peaks of the Karakoram from more than 200 km away during the Great Trigonometric Survey of India. In 1892, William Martin Conway provided the alternate name, Hidden Peak, in reference to its extreme remoteness.
Gasherbrum I was first climbed on July 5, 1958 by Pete Schoening and Andy Kauffman of an eight-man American expedition led by Nicholas B. Clinch. Richard K. Irvin, Tom Nevison, Tom McCormack, Bob Swift and Gil Roberts were also members of the team.
- Duration :
- 56 Days
- Highest Altitude :
- 6797 m
- Best Seasons :
- Sep-Nov, Mar-May
Day 01 : Arrive Islamabad, transfer to hotel.
Day 02 - 03: Islamabad - briefing at Ministry of Tourism and prepration for nanga parbat expedition.
Day 04 : Fly or drive to Skardu, hotel.
Day 05 : In Skardu if fly or arrive Skardu if by road.
Day 06 : Drive by jeeps to Askoli, camp.
Day 07 : Trek to Julla, camp.
Day 08 : Trek to Paiyu, camp.
Day 09 : Rest day.
Day 10 : Trek to Urdukas, camp.
Day 11 : Trek to Goro II, camp.
Day 12 : Trek to Shaghring, camp.
Day 13 : Trek to Gasherbrum I
Day 14 - 46 : Climbing at Gasherbrum I
Day 47 : Trek back to Concordia camp.
Day 48 : Trek back to Urdukas, camp.
Day 49 : Trek back to Payu, camp.
Day 50 : Trek back to Julla, camp
Day 51 : Trek back to Askoli, camp.
Day 52 : Drive back to Skardu, hotel.
Day 53 : Fly or drive to Islamabad, hotel.
Day 54 : In Islamabad if fly or arrive Islamabad if by road.
Day 55 : Briefing in the Ministry of Tourism.
Day 56 : Back to home
- Liaison with ministry of tourism in Islamabad for permit process.
- Process of import/export permit from ministry of tourism.
- Assistance upon arrival/departure.
- Welcome reception (briefing)/farewell meeting (de-briefing) at Alpine Club of Pakistan.
- Hotel accommodation at Chancery Guest House ( Islamabad), Concordia Motel (Skardu) and Panorama Hotel (Chilas) with all meals.
- All meals during trek and 20 days at B.C.
- Porterage of 50 kg per person of expedition equipment and high altitude food etc. to the B.C and 25 kg per person on return from B.C respectively.
- Road transfers between airport/hotel and within the city as per itinerary.
- Sleeping tent, mattress, mess/kitchen with table/field stools and camping ground fees.
- Kitchen equipment, crockery, cutlery, fuel and related community gear.
- Wages and basic kit of guide, sirdar, cook and low altitude porters.
- Insurance of our field staff and low altitude porters (except helicopter rescue).
- Porterage at airports, hotels, toll taxes and parking fee etc.
- Letter of guarantee on behalf of team/client for environmental bond.
- Mail handling/forwarding to BC/overseas except postage charges.
- Reconfirmation of air tickets.
- Hiring of HAPs, mail runner(s) and any other crew as per requirement. (Wages and kit to be arranged by the team).
- Domestic air fare Islamabad/Skardu/Islamabad.
- Airport tax, excess baggage charges.
- High altitude porters/any crew above B.C.
- Tents, sleeping bags, personal and climbing equipment of any kind beyond base camp including high altitude food and oxygen.
- Medications ground evacuations and helicopter rescue charges of any kind.
- Room services, laundry, beverages, phone/communication bills and items of personal nature.
- Insurance liability of member(s) and other under force majeure conditions.
- Permit, Pollution and Environmental fee or any other fee required to be paid by the Government of Pakistan.
- Clearance of cargo before arrival of the team and clearing agent’s charges.
- Any other service not mentioned in this condition sheet.